Obama's first day: we are going to lead with 'transparency and the rule of law'


You may read the entire piece via that link below. Might be worth a read. The ending is what's unexpected, and, well, LOL funny.

If you're in for a laugh, check out the dialog between Biden and Obama at the end (and quoted at the bottom of this post). I don't think Biden's up for this -- correction! -- I think Biden is going to make a terrific elderly and trim Lou Costello to Obama's mellow Bud Abbott. Biden is apparently not up to being next in line to the president.

However, a little levity never hurt anything. I adore levity. I don't trust people who don't enjoy levity in nearly all circumstances (rationally: short of Family Guy Peter Griffin tactlessness, for reference). Some people think levity in the workplace, during meetings especially, is a sign of stupidity, lack of tact, or ignorance. Those folks are not so much fun at a party, or even at a movie, I expect. They are not much good to work with, either. That said, not sure I want nutty Uncle Joe with his finger on the button.

Obama Announces New Pay, Ethics Rules - RealClearPolitics
Obama: Let me say it as simply as I can: Transparency and the rule of law will be the touchstones of this presidency.

Our commitment to openness means more than simply informing the American people about how decisions are made. It means recognizing that government does not have all the answers, and that public officials need to draw on what citizens know. And that's why, as of today, I'm directing members of my administration to find new ways of tapping the knowledge and experience of ordinary Americans -- scientists and civic leaders, educators and entrepreneurs -- because the way to solve the problem of our time is -- the way to solve the problems of our time, as one nation, is by involving the American people in shaping the policies that affect their lives.

After some rather noble and respectable words from Obama on his first full day as president, upon the swearing in of the senior staff of his Administration, there's this little bit of verbal slapstick:
THE PRESIDENT: The American people are really counting on us now. Let's make sure we take advantage of it. I know you will. So thank you for your commitment.
Joe, do you want to administer the oath?

THE VICE PRESIDENT: Am I doing this again?

THE PRESIDENT: For the senior staff.

THE VICE PRESIDENT: For the senior staff, all right.

THE PRESIDENT: Yes. A number of Cabinet members have already --

THE VICE PRESIDENT: My memory is not as good as Justice Roberts, Chief Justice Roberts. (Laughter.) Okay, no, I -- this is the list. Do you have a copy of the oath? Which senior staff are we doing?

THE PRESIDENT: A whole bunch of senior staff.

THE VICE PRESIDENT: Okay. All of the senior staff --

THE PRESIDENT: Rise.

THE VICE PRESIDENT: -- please rise. I will say "aye," and then you repeat your name.

THE PRESIDENT: Marvin, button up your coat. (Laughter.)

Those are words I hope we can all believe in. The quote at the top, I mean. Not the silliness immediately above. Obama understands what rule of law means, quite succinctly, being a Constitutional lawyer.


- jR

Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: